freetds - Re: [freetds] No Earthly reason for MARS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Ken Collins <ken AT metaskills.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] No Earthly reason for MARS
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 17:22:22 -0400

James,

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I HIGHLY agree with it too. This
particular sentence struck a cord with me too.

> There is no benefit to multiplexing a connection, nothing two statements on
> one connection can do that two connections can't. It's that simple.

As an web application developer that utilizes connection pools in the client
application, I find this very natural. It is much easier to abstract another
connection based on the same parameters that gave me a single connection
within the language of my choosing vs binding for such features at a lower
level. Abstraction is the key to interoperability and not leaning on
FreeTDS/DB-Library to do this empowers us all. Just my thoughts.

- Ken