freetds - Re: [freetds] freetds silently truncating text/varchar/etc fields to 80 characters

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freetds silently truncating text/varchar/etc fields to 80 characters
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 18:18:30 -0400

On Thu, 5 May 2011 11:33:42 +0000 (UTC)
Ed Avis <eda AT waniasset.com> wrote:

> I have seen the problem where, when using placeholders with
> freetds and MSSQL, string values are silently truncated to 80
> characters.
> My server is MSSQL 2000 and my test program is in Perl using
> DBD::Sybase, which is using freetds under the hood.

http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#Are.there.any.known.issues
http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#What.features.are.missing
and even
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/freetds/2009q2/024592.html

Parameterized queries in ct-lib (which DBD::Sybase uses) rely on
heuristics when connected to Microsoft servers. DBD::Sybase
folks suffer from time to time because no one's stepped up to fix it.

At the ct-lib level, it's not fixable absent an SQL parser or parsing
service. At the DBD level it *could* be solved in a few ways, but
would require coordinated changes in DBD::Sybase and FreeTDS. Other
than that it's just a small matter of programming.

HTH.