freetds - [freetds] tsql with SSL on SQL Server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Tony Baldarelli" <tbaldarelli AT wmsvision.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] tsql with SSL on SQL Server
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 19:12:04 -0400

Hello,
We are moving to using SSL to connect to our SQL Server databases.
Currently I cannot get it to work and was wondering if there was some
documentation out there on it. So far the documentation I have read does
not work. For instance, it tells me to set "encryption" in the freetds.conf
to either "request" or "required", which I have tried.

I currently use openssl, but I do see references to it working with
gnutls, so I might look that up as well.

Tony Baldarelli

P.S. For those who are curious, here is some data to consider.

• Machine 1 tsql ( no osql )
o Version:
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]> tsql -C
Compile-time settings (established with the "configure"
script):
Version: freetds v0.63
MS db-lib source compatibility: no
Sybase binary compatibility: unknown
Thread safety: yes
iconv library: yes
TDS version: 4.2
iODBC: no
unixodbc: yes
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]>
o Error:
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]> tsql -S myserver2005 -U <user
removed for security> -P <password removed for security>
locale is "en_US"
locale charset is "ISO-8859-1"
Msg 20004, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
Read from SQL server failed.
Msg 20014, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
Login incorrect.
There was a problem connecting to the server
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]>
o freetds section for machine 1. Note that "encryption" does
not work with this version, so that is why it is commented out.
[MyServer2005]
host = 192.168.254.91
port = 1433
tds version = 8.0
##encryption = request
• Machine 2 tsql, new version
o Version:
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]> tsql -C
Compile-time settings (established with the "configure"
script)
Version: freetds v0.82
freetds.conf directory: /usr/local/etc
MS db-lib source compatibility: no
Sybase binary compatibility: no
Thread safety: yes
iconv library: yes
TDS version: 5.0
iODBC: no
unixodbc: yes
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]>
o Test:
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]> tsql -S myserver2005 -U <user
removed for security> -P <password removed for security>
locale is "en_US"
locale charset is "ISO-8859-1"
Msg 20017, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
Unexpected EOF from the server
Msg 20002, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
Adaptive Server connection failed
There was a problem connecting to the server
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]>
• Machine 2 tsql, old version
o Version:
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]> tsql.old -C
Compile-time settings (established with the "configure"
script):
Version: freetds v0.64.dev.20051213
MS db-lib source compatibility: no
Sybase binary compatibility: unknown
Thread safety: yes
iconv library: yes
TDS version: 5.0
iODBC: no
unixodbc: yes
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]>
o Test:
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]> tsql.old -S myserver2005 --U <user
removed for security> -P <password removed for security>
locale is "en_US"
locale charset is "ISO-8859-1"
Msg 20004, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
Read from SQL server failed.
Msg 20014, Level 9, State 0, Server OpenClient, Line 0
Login incorrect.
There was a problem connecting to the server
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]>
• Machine 2 osql
o It is supposed to go into isql when it is done, but it does
not.
o Output:
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]> osql -S wv8 -U nortel -P <password
removed for security>
looking for odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini in /usr/local/etc
reading "/home/tonyb/.odbc.ini"
[wv8] not found in "/home/tonyb/.odbc.ini"
reading "/usr/local/etc/odbc.ini"
[wv8] found in "/usr/local/etc/odbc.ini"
found this section:
[wv8]
Driver = Easysoft ODBC-SQL Server SSL
Description = Easysoft SQL Server ODBC driver
Server = 192.168.254.91
Port = 1433
Database = wv8_162
User = nortel
Password = <password removed for security>
Mars_Connection = No
Logging = Process
LogFile =
/home/wms/v9_odbc/oracle/8.1.7/LOG/wv8_162.easysoft.ssl2
QuotedId = Yes
AnsiNPW = Yes
Language =
Version7 = No
ClientLB = No
Encrypt = No
TrustServerCertificate = No
PrivateKeyFile =
CertificateFile =
Entropy =
Failover_Partner =
VarMaxAsLong = No

looking for driver for DSN [wv8]
driver "Easysoft" found for [wv8] in odbc.ini
found driver named "Easysoft"
Easysoft is not a readable file
looking for entry named [Easysoft] in
/usr/local/etc/odbcinst.ini
no driver mentioned for [Easysoft] in odbcinst.ini
[tonyb:v9_odbc:V3_18]>
 • Machine 2 freetds setup ( uncommenting "encryption" does not really
change anything, it still fails with the same errors above )
[MyServer2005]
host = 192.168.254.91
port = 1433
tds version = 8.0