freetds - Re: [freetds] unixODBC connection not working while tsql does

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Bos, Roger" <roger.bos AT rothschild.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] unixODBC connection not working while tsql does
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:11:04 -0500

Thanks James for the suggestion to download the newest version of osql,
but I read another post and here is what I did: I un-installed unixODBC
and re-installed it, then re-installed freeTDS. After I did that osql
still did not log in, but isql did log in. With that working, I went to
R-RODBC (my final goal) and it seems to work. So I am done playing
around with it. I don't know why osql still does not work. I have
always used Windows and I am trying to start using Linux. I have made
decent progress and I would love to like Linux, but Linux takes up a
large amount of times sometimes just to get very easy stuff working.

I think my problem was that osql doesn't know where my .ini files are
located. According to most threads they should be in /usr/local/freetds
and /usr/local/odbc, but mine in are /etc/. My install is different
somehow and I don't know why. I even used the
--prefix=/usr/local/freetds option in the ./configure step. Linux is
not for those who want it easy.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Roger