freetds - Re: [freetds] Using server host/port with dblib api.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Using server host/port with dblib api.
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 22:05:46 -0500

Ken Collins wrote:
> So I am using the dblib api in my TinyTds ruby binding [1] and I have
> always noticed that I have to specify the dataserver name in
> freetds.conf for a connection to be established. Would this be
> considered a bug or is a host and/or custom port not allowed?

You should be able to use just a hostname and rely on the environment
and/or built-in defaults to establish the port and protocol version using
a recent snapshot. Christos Zoulas contributed a patch for that sometime
in the last year IIRC.

When freetds.conf was invented, I think the developers expected every
server to be completely described in the file. Over the years its become
clearer that it is unnecessary in homogeneous TDS 7.0+ environments.
Ironing out all the wrinkles wouldn't be hard, but needs someone to do it.

--jkl

  • Re: [freetds] Using server host/port with dblib api., James K. Lowden, 11/18/2010