freetds - [freetds] Are typed bound parameters working with unixODBC/FreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Pierre Buyle <pierre AT buyle.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Are typed bound parameters working with unixODBC/FreeTDS
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:02:50 +0200

Hi,

I use the following setup to access a MS-SQL database from a PHP application
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
- PHP 5.2.14 with PDO and PDO_ODBC
- unixODBC 2.2.11
- FreeTDS 0.82.1.dev.20100810

Unparametrisze queries work fine. I can execute basic queries. The
only issue is being forced to close cursor on single result statements
(with PDOStatment::closeCursor) to avoid "0 [FreeTDS][SQL Server]
Invalid cursor state (SQLSTATE=24000)" errors.

But I'm having a major issue with typed bound parameter. When using
code like this:

$stmt = $PDO->prepare('INSERT INTO table (column1, column2) VALUES
(:foo, :bar');
$stmt->bindValue(':foo', 21, PDO::PARAM_INT);
$stmt->bindValue(':bar', 42, PDO::PARAM_INT);
$stmt->execute():
if (!$stmt->execute()) {
var_dump($stmt->errorInfo();
}

Where both column are INT. I get the an "206 [FreeTDS][SQL
Server]Operand type clash: text is incompatible with int
[SQLSTATE=22018]" error.

In the unixODBC log, I get something like

[ODBC][26251][SQLDescribeParam.c][175]
Entry:
Statement = 0x2b73c849fb80
Parameter Number = 1
SQL Type = 0x7fff9c89e15e
Param Def = 0x7fff9c89e154
Scale = 0x7fff9c89e15c
Nullable = 0x7fff9c89e15a
[ODBC][26251][SQLDescribeParam.c][276]Error: IM001
[ODBC][26251][SQLBindParameter.c][193]
Entry:
Statement = 0x2b73c849fb80
Param Number = 1
Param Type = 1
C Type = 1 SQL_C_CHAR
SQL Type = -1 SQL_LONGVARCHAR
Col Def = 4000
Scale = 5
Rgb Value = 0x2b73c941f890
Value Max = 0
StrLen Or Ind = 0x2b73c93fa1b0
[ODBC][26251][SQLBindParameter.c][339]
Exit:[SQL_SUCCESS]

My understanding of the log is that unixODBC is trying to bind the
parameters using the right type. But the FreeTDS doesn't support the
function (IM001 is 'Driver does not support this function'). So
unixODBC continue without proper typing.

Can someone confirm this diagnosis or, better, a known issue with
typed bound parameter in FreeTDS ?