freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and SQL Server 2008 UTF-16 characters

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and SQL Server 2008 UTF-16 characters
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 23:33:58 -0400

Hi Burkhard,

> From all that I learned about this, it seems it would be safe
> intepreting the UCS-2 characters as UTF-16
> I would appreciate your help with such a change... for sure I can help
> with testing it.

I have a suggestion for a hack. If you're right and I'm right, it might
work.

In src/tds/iconv.c, the string constant "UCS-2LE" appears 4 times. Change
them to "UTF-16LE". Recompile. Make sure you're using GNU libiconv. Run
your test. Watch for smoke.

If UTF-16 really is a superset of UCS-2, it should Just Work. That change
doesn't fake anything; it just treats as UTF-16 what would otherwise be
regarded as UCS-2. If it works, please update the comments and the
variable names (and for extra credit, the documentation), post your patch
and call it a day.

HTH.