freetds - [freetds] question about compiling PHP and freetds 0.82

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Chris Adams" <chris.a.adams AT state.or.us>
  • To: "freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] question about compiling PHP and freetds 0.82
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 21:31:28 +0000

Hello all,

I am using Freetds on a RHL ES 3 server. I installed Freetds 0.82
(/usr/local/freetds) and is works fine from the command line.

I want to use PHP to talk to an MS-SQL 2005 server.

I currently run PHP 4.3.2. I wanted to keep that version and recompile to use
mssql. Here is what I have done so far:

Downloaded and configured same version of php with the mssql extension. I
planned to then copy the mssql.so into the existing php extension folder.

./configure --with-mssql=/usr/local/freetds

This is the end of what results from the configure:

checking for mSQL support... no
checking for MSSQL support via FreeTDS... yes
configure: error: Directory /usr/local/freetds is not a FreeTDS installation
directory

I read that it is looking for tds.h, which doesn't exist in the version 0.82
(stable release) package. It was suggested that I use an older version, which
I did (0.64). I installed this from an RPM. It appears to install, but it
doesn't have the tds.h and I don't know where to point the configure script.

Other than those attempts, I can only see completely recompiling php, but I
might have to modify the installed RPM of PHP and then recompile. I haven't
figured out yet if that is necessary.

Please advise. Thanks.

Christopher Adams