freetds - Re: [freetds] Help connecting with tds to MSSQL 2008

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Help connecting with tds to MSSQL 2008
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:23:23 -0400

> On Mon, 20/9/10, Gal Rubinstein<galrub AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to connect using libTDS.lib but I cannot seem to
> get the parameters right.

Don't do that! The TDS library is very hard to use and not very stable.

If you're doing straight C++, db-lib will be much easier to use. You can
also rely on the vendors' documentation. Behavior in exception to those
docuements is considered a bug.

For example code, several utilities are written to the db-lib API, see also
the unittests.

Sometimes people assume that since db-lib et al. use libtds, it must be
faster or more efficient to use the "lower level" library. It's not. If you
don't believe me, look at the code yourself. If you find someting grossly
inefficient, I'd be interested to hear about it.

If you have to stick with libtds, your best guidance is tsql.c and the db-lib
source code. But you'll really just end up re-implementing db-lib.

HTH.