freetds - Re: [freetds] string cut at 78 characters?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] string cut at 78 characters?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:47:20 +0200

2010/6/16 Razvan Cosma <rg AT cosma.name>:
> Hi - thank you for looking into this, reqd details inline below
>
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> 2010/6/15 David Dick <ddick AT cpan.org>:
>>> version.  Are you setting the version to 7 or higher?
>
> I have
> tds version = 8.0
> client charset = UTF-8
> in /etc/freetds.conf
>
>> I think so but I'd also ask for more log, in particular I would need
>> entire data to check sizes/data are correctly send. Also is not clear
>> if insert or select did not return entire data...
>
> Insert (perl+freetds) only puts 78 chars in the db. I check with the
> MS SQL manager
>
>> Could you make a dummy/test insert and send entire data dialog (login
>> packets are not needed) ?
>
> Full log at http://razvan.cosma.name/tdsdump.log
> In the db, I only see "Delivered-To: rg AT cosma.name Received: by
> 10.213.32.16 with SMTP id a16cs36363ebd"

Ok, now is clear... ctlib does not prepare again statement and this
cause the truncation. It prepares strings with varchar(80) then sends
longer strings which sql server truncate in order to fit in
varchar(80). ODBC detect the problem and prepare again statement in
order to avoid this. Could you try with ODBC ?