freetds - Re: [freetds] Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is unavailable or does not exist

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: David Dick <ddick AT cpan.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is unavailable or does not exist
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:19:08 +1000

On 09/06/10 08:45, Chris Adams wrote:
Hello,

This is my first post to this list. I am a new user of freetds. Here is my
scenario. I am trying to connect from a Redhat ES3 (old,yes I know) box to a
MSSQL Server 2005 databse.

I have installed the latest stable version of freetds on the Linux box. I run
the tsql command like this:

Tsql -H my.host.ip.address -p 1443 -U sa

The result is this:

tsql -H my.host.ip.address -p 1443 -U sa
locale is "en_US.UTF-8"
locale charset is "UTF-8"
Password:
Msg 20009, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is unavailable or does not exist
There was a problem connecting to the server

I have tinkered with older versions of freetds, had the freetds-devel
installed and installed unixodbc. I may have missed some steps and am missing
parts that are needed.

Could someone point me in the right direction so that I don't continue
spinning my wheels here? Thanks.

Ok. First, you need to make sure that SQL Server is actually listening on port 1433. I would recommend using telnet to test the connection from your ES3 server.

secondly, set the TDSDUMP environment variable ( http://www.freetds.org/userguide/logging.htm ) and use the dump file to either solve the issue yourself, or post it to the list.