freetds - Re: [freetds] OSX PHP freetds MAMP install question...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Cole McDonald <knightscape AT charter.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] OSX PHP freetds MAMP install question...
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 08:48:13 -0500

I had no problems compiling, it behaved exactly as the instructions I was working from said it should.
Had it not been so, I wouldn't have gotten to the point where I looked more deeply into it.

I'm not necessarily a good person to ask these questions of however, I haven't done any non-web based development since the early 90's... Never really got my head into the linux thing. After punchcard programming in FORTRAN in the 70s, the apple/BASIC world seemed so much easier, and the Mac the natural extension of that ease of use.

Tons of development with Applescript, shell, Expect/TCL, Bunch of web design on the fledgling internet trying to monetize and commercialize it (a year too early to market, we couldn't convince businesses that enough people would have access tot he internet from their homes).

So other than interpreted languages, I've had minimal experience with compiled language development. The initial vision of computers was that they would make life easier. I've been spoiled in the apple world with installers that work within that vision. Everytime I have to install any unix based software, it makes me angry that that vision hasn't been as fully embraced as I would have expected. We still seem trapped in the 70's in that regard. In my view, the 2 things hampering Linux making a huge inroad into the home is the interface and the installation process. Those 2 things sorted out, Linux and freeBSD could wipe out all of the competition. I'd love to see that.

Cole McDonald (320)310-7791
Producer/Director
Y.A.F.I.:Underground Productions
http://www.yafiunderground.com