freetds - Re: [freetds] SQL Server version and TDS Version

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] SQL Server version and TDS Version
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 22:05:36 -0500

On May 3, 2010, at 1:27 PM, Vinh Nguyen wrote:

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM, <jklowden AT schemamania.org> wrote:

It works even less now. I committed changes to tds_alloc_locale()
to get its initial values as I described. glibc give a free backtrace
error. I'm sure it's right, but I've run out of time.

So should I wait for the next official release of freeTDS for all the
errors to be fixed? Let me know if the errors will NOT be fixed in
the near future so I know. Thanks for all your help.

As far as I know, the only remaining "error" in FreeTDS is that there is a bit more work to do to make it more robustly infer the local character set from the environment. But that may well not do any good when the local environment is not configured properly, which seems likely in your case.

It sure looks to me like en_US.utf-8 (lower case) is not a valid locale on Mac OS X, where en_US.UTF-8 (upper case) is. At least here's what I see:

% locale -a | grep -i en_US
en_US
en_US.ISO8859-1
en_US.ISO8859-15
en_US.US-ASCII
en_US.UTF-8

So you might want to figure out why your locale is set the way it is and whether it's really necessary.

You could also, as a workaround, apply my patch to tsql.c and set the default character set in either freetds.conf or on the command line.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."
Brad Leithauser