freetds - Re: [freetds] Anyway to clear the 'text size' set in the default, freetds.conf file

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "PublicMailbox AT benslade.com" <PublicMailbox AT benslade.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Anyway to clear the 'text size' set in the default, freetds.conf file
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:37:48 -0400

"James K. Lowden" wrote:
> Looking at the code again, "set text size" isn't sent if the in-memory
> value is zero. Can't you specify "text size = 0" in freetds.conf? If not,
> it wouldn't be hard to change config.c to look for, say, -1 and set the
> size to zero there, causing the statement not to be sent.

I tried this. According to the TDS dump config file, it finds my login
dir .freetds.conf file, sets the text size to zero, *then* finds the
default config file, and overrides the value I set for myself. So
maybe this turns into a question of, how can a user's local freetds.conf
file override the default freetds.conf file? It certainly seems like a
local config file should be able to override the default config file.

> There might be a long-term solution anyway.
>
> I've been thinking for a while that session properties need to be defined
> on a per-server basis (or globally). For instance, it would be nice if
> db-lib applications could have ANSI defaults set on by, er, default. That
> would among other things let them use indexed views without doing anything
> special.
>
> The natural place for it would be freetds.conf. The "right" way to do it
> would be to introduce a panaply of options that the library would convert
> to SET statements, to be sent immediately upon logging in. The cheap way
> would be to point to a file containing SQL text to send after logging in.
> (I don't see SQL in freetds.conf itself as an option because it lacks a
> line-continuation syntax.)
>
> This could be used for set textsize, too.
>
> --jkl

As a person with no skin in the FreeTDS development/maintenance game
(just a user ;), I vote for doing it the "right" way.

Ben

  • Re: [freetds] Anyway to clear the 'text size' set in the default, freetds.conf file, PublicMailbox AT benslade.com, 04/20/2010