freetds - Re: [freetds] Feebcp fails to load

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Feebcp fails to load
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:41:46 -0400

Federico Alves wrote:
> freebcp: error while loading shared libraries: libsybdb.so.5: cannot
>
> The weird thing is that the file exists in /lib.

Probably the run-time linker is not looking for libsybdb in /lib, but
somewhere else. The ldd utility will tell you if all libaries are found:

$ ldd $(which freebcp)
/usr/local/bin/freebcp:
-lpthread.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0
-lsybdb.5 => /usr/local/lib/libsybdb.so.5
-lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12

The freebcp ELF executable can -- depending on how it was compiled --
include a list of directories to search for libraries. That's the RPATH:

$ readelf -d $(which freebcp) | grep RPATH
0x0000000f (RPATH) Library rpath: [/usr/pkg/lib:/usr/local/lib]

You can also usually get the runtime linker to report where it's looking.
"man ld.so" is your friend here. ISTR you're running Linux; according to
http://linux.die.net/man/8/ld-linux, it will look "[i]n the default path
/lib, and then /usr/lib. If the binary was linked with -z nodeflib linker
option, this step is skipped.". It understands a long list of environment
variables, including our friend LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

HTH.