freetds - Re: [freetds] tsql command line recall?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT t-online.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tsql command line recall?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:07:42 +0100

On Mar 19, 2010, at 19:40, Patrick Taylor wrote:

> I expect that they should be pretty close in functionality though. The
> question is about tsql. The v0.82 version allows for command line recall
> by using the up-arrow key. The v0.82.1.dev.20090618 is now allowing
> command line recall. Is this something compiled into the tsql binary?

Yes, it's the Readline library.

> If so, does anyone know if there's a specific configure option I should use
> to enable this?

The configure script should automatically detect if you have Readline on your
system, including its header files.

After you ran configure, check if the generated include/config.h includes
this:
/* Define to 1 if you have the GNU Readline library. */
#define HAVE_READLINE 1

It's customary in most Linux distributions that libraries and their header
files are distributed as separate packages. You need the headers too if you
are to compile new programs yourself to use that library.
For example, on a Red Hat/Fedora system it's insufficient to have the
readline package installed, you also need readline-devel.