freetds - Re: [freetds] Force use of UTF-8 instead of ISO8859-1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Force use of UTF-8 instead of ISO8859-1
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 10:24:40 -0500

On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 03:57:03PM +0100, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> 2010/2/5 James K. Lowden <jklowden AT freetds.org>:
> > $ printf "select * from test_utf8\ngo\n" | bsqlodbc -S$S -U$U -P$(password
> > $S $U)
> > id name
> > ---------- ----------
> > "[FreeTDS][SQL Server]Data truncated"
> > 1 hall
> > "[FreeTDS][SQL Server]Data truncated"
> > 2 adj
> > "[FreeTDS][SQL Server]Data truncated"
> > 3 rhus
>
> Using nchar(10) "foo" get stored as "foo " ("foo" followed by 7
> spaces). Using utf-8 encoding a 5 character get stored in 10 nchar but
> if a character is not ascii get encoded in more than 10 characters.
> SQLDescribeCol return 10 characters and you provided 10 character
> buffer which is insufficient to store original data. Now... On
> SQLDescribeCol
>
> ColumnSizePtr
>
> [Output] Pointer to a buffer in which to return the size (in
> characters) of the column on the data source.
>
> so is fine to return 10 or we should return that maximum buffer space
> (40 in this case) ?? Or perhaps we should return 0 (undeterminated) ?

SQLDescribeCol is correct. It returns the logical size, the size as reported
by the server. The column size is measured in characters, by definition; the
server's storage requirements are not the client's concern.

To determine the appropriate buffer size, bsqlodbc should use SQLGetDescRec
and SQL_DESC_OCTET_LENGTH.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms712499%28VS.85%29.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms713979%28VS.85%29.aspx

"Similarly, the values for transfer octet length do not come from
SQL_DESC_LENGTH. They come from the SQL_DESC_OCTET_LENGTH of a field of a
descriptor for all character and binary types."

The things you learn....