freetds - Re: [freetds] Mapping of MS SQL data types to C/PHP data types

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Trilok Khairnar <trilokgk AT gmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Mapping of MS SQL data types to C/PHP data types
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 21:36:47 +0530

I should clarify that this is not a FreeTDS issue, but a question on
programming a FreeTDS app using PHP/ C.

I am wondering whether there is a performance penalty if the data type
is not specifed when using mssql_result in mssql_result($result,$i) to
get the ith column from a result set $result, or using odbc_result
from PHP's ODBC module API.

I also looked up the documentation of sqlsrv_get_field for MS SQL
server driver for PHP.
It says: "If no return type is specified, a default PHP type will be
returned". However, at what level is the type inferencing done?

Thanks,
Trilok