freetds - [freetds] Win32 client replacing Sybase net libraries

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Elliman, David" <David.Elliman AT rbccm.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Win32 client replacing Sybase net libraries
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:20:50 +0100

Hi,

Forgive my newness!

Apologies if this has been asked before (I did check!!). I have a 3rd
party library that runs on windows (XP SP2) as a client to Sybase 10 (on
Solaris). We wish to migrate away from it but would like to do it
gradually. I was hoping that I could replace the Sybase client libs with
FreeTDS, set up the SYBASE env variable, edit the freetds.conf file and
I would be up and running. I could then over time intercept at the sql
to TDS level.

I downloaded the latest stable release, unzipped, and built with VC6 all
the Win32 projects - which place libs in their respective output build
directories, I was expecting a DLL to be produced but noticed that the
Unix version doesn't use a .so anymore so wondered whether that was
why(?). So I copied alll the .libs (freetds, dblib and libtds) into a
new lib directory and copied a hopefully correct freetds.conf into there
also, I then updated the SYBASE env to point to the dir above lib as per
your user guide.

Boom! :-)

Can you let me know if a) what I'm attempting to do is a viable scenario
and b) what I need to do to set up the Win32 build/Env to work

This email is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom
it is addressed and may be privileged and confidential.

Unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited. If you receive this
e-mail in error, please advise immediately and delete the original
message without copying, using, or telling anyone about its contents.

This message may have been altered without your or our knowledge and
the sender does not accept any liability for any errors or omissions
in the message.

This message does not create or change any contract. Royal Bank of
Canada and its subsidiaries accept no responsibility for damage caused
by any viruses contained in this email or its attachments. Emails may
be monitored.

RBC Capital Markets is a business name used by branches and
subsidiaries of Royal Bank of Canada, including Royal Bank of Canada,
London branch and Royal Bank of Canada Europe Limited. In accordance
with English law requirements, details regarding Royal Bank of Canada
Europe Limited are set out below:

ROYAL BANK OF CANADA EUROPE LIMITED
Registered in England and Wales 995939
Registered Address: 71 Queen Victoria Street, London, EC4V 4DE.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
Member of the London Stock Exchange