freetds - Re: [freetds] freetds failed to connect to MSSQL server ends with error ( Unable to open socket There was a problem connecting to the server )

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freetds failed to connect to MSSQL server ends with error ( Unable to open socket There was a problem connecting to the server )
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:22:14 -0400

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:33:20AM +0200, Arlen Drina wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using freetds 0.82 installed on Debian and I am trying to connect
> to MSSQL 2005 server.
> ./tsql -S sss.sss.sss.sss -U nagios -p 1433
> locale is "en_US.UTF-8"
> locale charset is "UTF-8"
> Password:
> Msg 20008, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
> Unable to open socket
> There was a problem connecting to the server

Use TDSDUMP to get more detail about that error.

"Unable to open socket" is TDSECONN produced by
src/tds/net.c::tds_open_socket(). It's the result of a failure of
inet_addr(3) or (more likely) socket(3). While it's true you can't connect,
more precisely you're prevented *locally* from attempting to connect. To
connect you need a local resource -- a socket -- and you're unable to create
one.

I expect the log to show "socket creation error" and the OS's error message.
I wouldn't be surprised if EACCES is the problem. (In which case telnet(1)
will also fail.)

HTH.