freetds - Re: [freetds] BCP In of data too large fails [NC]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Cedric ROUVRAIS <cedric.rouvrais AT sgcib.com>
  • To: konrad AT payplus.com, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] BCP In of data too large fails [NC]
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:04:17 -0400

Hi,

Having a var to emulate one or the other could be worthwhile investigating.
Right now, I haven't done that, but why not. Need to give it some thought.

Both ways, it's my PoV, I do not commit on this project, so don't loose
sleep over this :o)

a++ Cedric

|------------------------------
| Konrad J Hambrick
| <konrad AT payplus.c
| om>
| Sent by:
| freetds-bounces@l
| ists.ibiblio.org
|

| 08/24/2009 06:37
| PM
|

| Please respond to
| konrad AT payplus.co
| m; Please respond
| FreeTDS
| Development Group
| <freetds AT lists.ib
| iblio.org>

FreeTDS Development Group
<freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [freetds] BCP In of
data too large fails [NC]

Cedric ROUVRAIS wrote:
> freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote on 08/24/2009 06:16:33 PM:
>
>> We are using either freebcp or MS BCP.EXE to automatically
>> upload tens-of-GB of data every night on each of 20+ systems
>> and my vote is for freebcp to work EXACTLY like MS BCP.EXE.
>
> I have ensured that FreeTDS freebcp and bsqldb works exactly as Sybase
> bcp/isql and have fixed bugs in the process because my vote is for
freebcp
> to work EXACTLY like Sybase BCP.EXE.
>
> You have a perspective, I have a perspective. Who is right? The one with
> the most developpers and systems? I think you will loose there ;o)
>
> So, for the next release the question of whether or not someone wants to
> look at the changes/fixes remains in the air. The fixes aren't related
only
> to the column size issue of freebcp.c as bsqldb.c/bcp.c/dblib.c have been
> changed to for other reasons.
>
> a++ Cedric

Cedric --

Question ... After you have gotten 'as many apps as possible off Sybase
ASAP'
will you not want to EXACTLY emulate MS BCP.EXE behaviour ?

How about a compromise ?

Export an environment Varb (say, EMULATE_SYBASE) or an optional command
line flag to override the default MS BCP.EXE behavior ?

That way the Sybase behavior could be optionally invoked as necessary.

-- kjh