freetds - Re: [freetds] bsqldb not working like Sybase isql [NC]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] bsqldb not working like Sybase isql [NC]
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:51:44 -0400

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:30:46AM -0400, Cedric ROUVRAIS wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I previously mentionned I am working on getting an isql command line
> that works like the Sybase isql. After having giving it some thought, I
> have decided to use bsqldb as the base for my work.
>
> Currently I am looking at making the -h option work as Sybase and MS SQL,
> however it is currently used for other reasons. I am not to clear on the
> current -h option of bsqldb

With no options, column names are written to standard error. That way, when
data are written to standard output (no -o option) the display appears
normal, but if standard output is redirected (via shell meta characters) only
the data are written to the file. That's useful when preparing for, say,
bcp.

With -h, the column names are written to standard output and are captured as
part of any redirection.

With -q, no headers are written, period. Quiet is quiet.

I'm not sure that's the perfect combination, but that's where it stands
today.

> Added support for quit and exit commands

Are quit and exit useful, given that you have T-SQL to manage conditional
logic?

Looking forward to your patch. :-)

HTH.