freetds - Re: [freetds] Problems Connecting Debian --> MSSQL through odbc

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Problems Connecting Debian --> MSSQL through odbc
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:40:08 -0400

Jaap van Arragon wrote:
> On 7/14/09 1:56 PM, "Frediano Ziglio" <freddy77 AT gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2009/7/14 Jaap van Arragon <j.vanarragon AT lukkien.com>:
> >> Jep. I can ping to my host and I can connect through telnet on port
> >1433. >
> >> SERVER:# TDSVER=7.0 tsql -H IPADDRESS -p 1433 -U admin
> >> locale is "en_US.UTF-8"
> >> locale charset is "UTF-8"
> >> Password:
> >> 1>
> >> 2>
> >> 3>
>
> SERVER:# tsql -S TEST -U admin
> locale is "en_US.UTF-8"
> locale charset is "UTF-8"
> Password:
> There was a problem connecting to the server

In your first test, you set TDSVER=7.0 and it worked. In your second test
you did not, and it failed. That indicates that the TDS version is not
set in freetds.conf for server TEST.

I would double-check to make sure your freetds.conf is correct. If you
think it is but you still can't connect with tsql, set TDSDUMP or even
TDSDUMPCONFIG and examine the log. It will tell you the IP address of the
server it decided to use, and what version of the TDS protocol it used.

HTH.