freetds - Re: [freetds] issues connecting with perl DBD::ODBC

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Higgins <linux AT evolone.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] issues connecting with perl DBD::ODBC
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:41:58 -0700

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 17:59:16 -0400
"Kulik, Scott" <SKulik AT severstalna.com> wrote:

> If I try to use a format similar to:
>
> my
> $DSN="Driver=FreeTDS;Server=localhost;ServerName=TREX;Port=1799;Database
> =TREX;UID=_user;PWD=_pass";
> my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:ODBC:$DSN",'_user','_pass');
>
> like mentioned in the last response I always get a segmentation fault.

Sorry, I missed that.

Anyway, you may want to try doing this same kind of connect, but with one of,
however you want to set it:

export LD_BIND_NOW=1

or

export PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1

... which works with DBI if I just set %ENV in a BEGIN block. This didn't
work with DBIx-Class (though LD_BIND_NOW did if set outside the script).

If that makes a difference to the segfault (it does for me), then I think
maybe you can connect in any way. IOW, I think the problem, whatever it is,
is what causes the segfault. It is just a different result of the same
underlying problem, but things are in fact handled differently depending on
what is in the connect string.

I think there's some SQL_ERROR library that isn't available at connect, but
perhaps could be. When the library is preloaded, then you get normal error
connect. This is mostly a guess, though, inferred from reading.

Finally, I just put /usr/lib/libtdsodbc.so in /etc/ld.so.preload ... which
may, or may not be right, or right for your distro, but hopefully you see the
point. I think there is something wrong in the library linking from unixODBC
to FreeTDS when called with DBD::ODBC. I know squat about it... though I can
say this above is what works for me.

Good luck!

--
| |ichael | |iggins \^ /