freetds - Re: [freetds] Compile php5-sybase_ct-5.2.9 with freetds-devel-0.82.1_1, 1 in FreeBSD ports will Failed!

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Robert Gonzalez <robert AT robert-gonzalez.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Compile php5-sybase_ct-5.2.9 with freetds-devel-0.82.1_1, 1 in FreeBSD ports will Failed!
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:16:21 -0700

I think this has to do with the 15.0 client versus the 12.5 client as well,
when PHP compiles. I ran into this once when trying to compile the sybase
extension against the 15.0 client. There were a handful of client library
files from sybase that were renamed from lib* to libsyb* (or vice versa,
can't really remember right now) but the PHP team did not handle those
renames. I think the core PHP code still is looking for the 12.5 client
libraries. I have not been able to get anyone from the core team to help
with this either.

If I knew anything about c I would have already tried to handle this myself
but sadly I know nothing about programming in c. I contacted Zeev Suraski,
one of the original names on the Sybase extension, and he basically said
that there will more than likely be no more development on the sybase
extension since the push is to go to PDO now. The other names on the
extension source code have not responded to any of my emails.

I can do some research at work. We are going to be upgrading our enterprise
sybase databases soon and will be moving to the 15 client. Someone told me
that they are already planning for the provisions that need to be made to
compile PHP against it knowing the limitations we ran into last time.