freetds - Re: [freetds] Getting DB error = 20017 - Unexpected EOF from the server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Jeff.Goodwin AT fairchildsemi.com
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Getting DB error = 20017 - Unexpected EOF from the server
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:17:26 -0400

freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote on 03/18/2009 04:38:47 PM:

> > Can you reproduce the problem by simply logging in with tsql and
> > letting it sit overnight or do you have to have your whole
> > application/messaging setup running?
>
> I'm trying this now and should know tomorrow.

It's been 24 hours and the answer to this question is yes. I initiated a
connection yesterday morning and let it sit. This morning I attempted
another sp_who command and it failed.

This led us to a message in a server log that confirmed what a lot of us
thought right away. They were killing the processes. I suspect that the
current owners of the system do not even know they are doing it. Ugh!

We found the process that was doing the killing and there were multiple
scenarios of why a process would be killed. The one that got the TSQL
process was a check in the sysprocesses table for any hostprocess name
that was not 8 characters in length. If such a process was up for more
than 24 hours, it was killed. It appears that the processes from the
Sybase client on the VAX using the SRI INET driver seems to always produce
8 character hostprocess names. The connection from TSQL is less than 8
characters, thus it was killed after 24 hours.

I want to thank all that helped find this issue and apologize for
something that, in retrospect, should have been correctable internally. I
did find out that not only is the price for FreeTDS right, the support is
superb.

-Jeff