freetds - Re: [freetds] A more proper workaround for this Perl DBD::ODBC workaround ....

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Chad Johnson <chadjamesjohnson AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] A more proper workaround for this Perl DBD::ODBC workaround ....
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:59:59 -0500

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 5:37 PM, James K. Lowden <jklowden AT freetds.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you're referring to.  You pointed to a line in a
> file, but what feature are you talking about?
>
> To rebind a parameter buffer to a different length, SQLSetStmtAttr() is
> your friend.
>
> --jkl

I think you got the gist of it! To summarize: Queries are getting
re-prepared between executes when the size of the bound strings
increases. To work around this the DBD::ODBC authors set a minimum
size of 80 on bound varchar data. Additional logic exists in
DBD::ODBC to keep track of the minimum size in between executes.

>From your previous comment it sounds like a better solution would be
to call SQLSetStmtAttr() instead. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

-Chad J