freetds - Re: [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Duncan Kerr" <DKerr AT nyx.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: jklowden AT freetds.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freeTDS to access sqlserverExpress
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:27:43 -0000

Thanks for your replies yesterday. I have been experimenting using your
suggestions, and have narrowed the problem down & discovered an issue (I
think).

I have 2 sqlserver instances on 2 different machines and I tries to
connect to the with

tsql and telnet ( as suggested ).

My ~/.freetds.conf looks like this

[xph]

host = xph03846

tds version=8.0

instance=dkinstance

port=1433

[mcdb]

host = ntdevmog451

tds version=8.0

instance=ntdevmog451

port=1433

===

Here is command output for various attempts.

===

xdevws85 apps% tsql -H xph03846 -p 1433 -U sa -P root -Lv

locale is "C"

locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"

Msg 20009, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1

Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is unavailable or does not exist

There was a problem connecting to the server

xdevws85 apps% tsql -H ntdevmog451 -p 1433 -U allzse -P allzse -Lv

locale is "C"

locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"

Msg 20017, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1

Unexpected EOF from the server

Msg 20002, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1

Adaptive Server connection failed

There was a problem connecting to the server

lxdevws85 apps% tsql -S xph -U sa -P root -Lv

locale is "C"

locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"

16connecting to instance dkinstance on port 0

There was a problem connecting to the server

lxdevws85 apps% tsql -S mcdb -U 'allzse' -P allzse -Lv

locale is "C"

locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"

16connecting to instance ntdevmog451 on port 0

There was a problem connecting to the server

lxdevws85 apps% telnet xph03846 1433

Trying 10.222.136.219...

telnet: connect to address 10.222.136.219: Connection refused

lxdevws85 apps% telnet ntdevmog451 1433

Trying 10.230.204.151...

Connected to ntdevmog451.admin.liffe.com (10.230.204.151).

Escape character is '^]'.

^]

telnet> q

Connection closed.

lxdevws85 apps%

Finally you can see we connected with telnet.

Also, you can see that I can connect to my local servers with sqlcmd
like this, one works and one doesn't.

# ok

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn>SQLCMD.EXE -S
xph03846\dkinstance -U sa -P root

1>

# fails

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\binn>sqlcmd -S
ntdevmog451\ntdevmog451 -U all

zse -P allzse

HResult 0xFFFFFFFF, Level 16, State 1

SQL Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified
[xFFFFFFFF].

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Native Client : An error has occurred while
establishing a conn

ection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure
may be caused by the

fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections..

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Native Client : Login timeout expired.

My problems are:-

1) I have put port 1433 into .freetds.conf, but the tsql seems to want
to connect with port 0

2) What is "Unexpected EOF from server" -

3) What does connection refused mean - does this mean my xph server
isn't set up for remote sessions?

4) Am I contacting the servers at all with this, or am I still failing
to get any contact with the servers?

Duncan Kerr

NYSE Technologies

t +44 (0)20 7655 7214

Ubuntu

> > linux.

> I don't see how that's technically possible. Telnet forms a TCP

> connection. The server can't know it's not a TDS client because it
sends

> no data until you type something.

> Are you saying that:

> $ TDSVER=7.0 tsql -H $H -p $port -U $U -P $P

> works and

> $ telnet $H $port

> fails?

> If some combination of server and telnet don't work when they should,
we'd