freetds - [freetds] Update statement & SQL_NO_DATA

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Raju Mohanapu <raju.mohanapu AT wombatfs.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Update statement & SQL_NO_DATA
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:31:33 +0000

Hello Folks,
The issue is related to the one discussed in https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/freetds/2008q1/022992.html

SQLExecute (preparedUpdateStatement) returns SQL_SUCCESS even when no rows are affected. For performance reasons, I wouldn't like to execute another command on the database to find whether any rows are affected by the just executed update statement. It would be ideal for me if the SQLExecute returned SQL_NO_DATA if no rows are affected. I believe this is the behavior indicated in ODBC docs as well.

The above thread indicates that a patch has been applied to return SQL_SUCCESS always and reserve SQL_NO_DATA for SQLFetch.

Is there a particular version of freeTDS that returns SQL_NO_DATA, rather than SQL_SUCCESS, when no rows are affected by an updateStatement? or any config/tricks to get this behavior?

Here is my env:
freeTDS version: 0.82
unixODBC: 2.2.11
Database: MS SQL Server 2008