freetds - Re: [freetds] mingw cross compilation (Frediano Ziglio)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Thomas Stover <thomas AT wsinnovations.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] mingw cross compilation (Frediano Ziglio)
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:56:02 -0600

Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:06:51 +0100
From: "Frediano Ziglio" <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [freetds] mingw cross compilation
To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>

What a confusion...

--prefix is FreeTDS installation directory so it's wrong
--includedir is FreeTDS include installation directory so it's wrong
You don't have to define CC but tell configure script where to find
proper compiler so you have to add to PATH path to your cross compiler
and use just

$ ./configure --host=i686-mingw32

configure search for executable like i686-mingw32-gcc (gcc, ld, g++,
nm, objdump, windres in this case and so on). So defining only CC
can't work. The no that is called is caused by not finding
i686-mingw32-windres (or just a windres).

freddy77
1) Yes! finally! A native win64 version of my C module. Currently win32 - msdblib, linux32/linux64/win64 - freetds! You can always count on "good old open source", to come to the rescue from windows. This saves me a boatload of problems. Thanks freetds!

2) Yes I should have been more clear. The --prefix and --includedir were intentional, as I wanted to place the build output in a place with all the other related cross compiler stuff.

3) The magic touch was the PATH, not CC. I have never understood until now that the --host thing is just looking for tool prefixes. Thanks man!

4) --enable-shared seems to not yield a dll. Although this is not a technical problem, is this still in the spirit of LGPL?

5) For google search posterity sake, kids try something like:

PATH=$PATH:/path/to/your/toolchain/bin ./configure --host=toolchain_prefix
(where "toolchain_prefix" is the part of the filenames (not including the '-') like toolchain-prefix-gcc and toolchanin-prefix-g++)
PATH=$PATH:/path/to/your/toolchain/bin make

Also once back over in windows, set your FREETDS environment variable to the directory containing freetds.conf.