freetds - [freetds] Compiling FreeTDS 0.82 under Windows (MVC)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Eloy Lafuente <stronk7 AT moodle.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Compiling FreeTDS 0.82 under Windows (MVC)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:34:32 +0200

Hi,

I've been trying to build latest FreeTDS version under Windows these days (yes, I know I'm crazy :-P ).

The main cause for this is that the "official" builds from Frank Kromann are based in older versions of FreeTDS that have some important bugs like the one in ntext/nvarchar... returning NULLs instead of empty strings that was fixed some time ago in FreeTDS upstream.

I must admit that this is my first experience with MVC (and hopefully the last :-P ) but right now I'm stopped in a point I need some help. And C++ compilers aren't one of my skills at all.

Here it's what I've done until now:

- Download all the PHP requisites (MVC, .NET, MS SDK).
- Build the "php-build" environment (with all the required
binaries, libraries and includes). Set environment variables as required (PATH, LIB, INCLUDE, BISON_SIMPLE).
- Download freetds 0.82 (stable).
- Go to freetds/win32/mscv6 and open the dblib.dsp project, building it.
- Copy the dblib.lib generated in previous step to "php-build"/lib
- Copy all the freetds/include files to "php-build"/include.
- execute buildconf
- execute csscript /nologo configure.js --disable-ipv6 --with-dblib
- execute nmake

Then I get this error:

main\internal_functions.c(69) : error C206 'phpext_dblib_ptr' : undeclared identifier

That identifier is created by the configure script and is the primary cause of my headaches. I've tried also to replace it with phpext_mssql_ptr (without knowing at all what it means, I know) but then I end with a lot of undefined symbols.

Note that, if I omit the --with-dblib in configure, then I get PHP properly built and working.

For reference, I've found this, showing the same error, but the thread seemed to end without solution (or at least I haven't been able to get it):

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/freetds/2008q2/023408.html

And that's all I can say (know). Any insight will be welcome. Having modern builds of FreeTDS running under windows will help us (moodle.org) a lot. TIA!

Ciao, Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) :-)

  • [freetds] Compiling FreeTDS 0.82 under Windows (MVC), Eloy Lafuente, 10/24/2008