freetds - Re: [freetds] Support of SQL_WVARCHAR/nvarchar

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: Marko Polloto <marko68 AT gmx.net>, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Support of SQL_WVARCHAR/nvarchar
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 00:24:59 -0400

marko68 GMX wrote:
> In my view, it is a bit strange that GetSQLTypeInfo() indicates that
> SQL_WVARCHAR is supported

Does a successful return from GetSQLTypeInfo() indicate the type is
supported? Or does it just indicate that type information was returned?

> and the corresponding MS SQL UNICODE data
> type is "nvarchar", because any next attempt to use it immediately
> fails. Would not it make more sense for GetSQLTypeInfo() to fail when
> the info for SQL_WVARCHAR is requested

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms714632(VS.85).aspx

Fail how?

The only error code I found that might apply is HY004 "Invalid SQL data
type", which doesn't seem to fit. Its description is:

"The value specified for the argument DataType was neither a valid
ODBC
SQL data type identifier nor a driver-specific data type identifier
supported by the driver."

and your input definitely *is* a valid datatype.