freetds - Re: [freetds] no conversion changes...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] no conversion changes...
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:01:06 -0400

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:

> Well... finally I decided to add a parameter in libTDS (still I don't
> know where, probably TDSSOCKET) to have a sort of "no convert please"
> for characters. This to support SQL_C_CHAR in ODBC. This flag will
> disable characters conversions for data only (rows and parameters, not
> column names and similar).

I don't think a flag is the right answer.

We have a a simple auto-conversion model. The client encoding is
converted to the server encoding automatically as the data are written to
the server.

We could handle the whole thing by requiring the API library to use one
consistent encoding. If *everything* is UTF-16, then autoconvert becomes
a no-op.

The other way is to handle parameters the way we do columns: each has its
own encoding.

Let's keep the from-to model and not adopt a flag-based override.