freetds - Re: [freetds] connecting to MSSQL 2005

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] connecting to MSSQL 2005
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:07:03 -0400

Jeremy Kister wrote:
> On 9/8/2008 8:14 AM, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > Evidently your server expects something other than what FreeTDS is
> > providing; that's why SQL Servers normally abruptly drop connections.
> > It would take some reverse engineering to figure out why. Are you in
> > a position to provide TCP dumps of a working connection?
>
> sure can. i can also give you a login to the mssql2008 server, if you'd
> like -- email me privately if so.
>
> do you want dumps of a working 7.0 connection from freetds-0.82 or do
> you want dumps of a working 8.0 connection from freetds-0.63 ? I can
> provide either.

Gads, you're saying your 0.63 system can connect with TDS 8.0, and your
0.82 system can't? I'd like to see both those dumps, for sure.

We may have to patch both systems to dump the login packet, and/or get a
bona fide tcpdump of the connection. But let's try the easy thing first,
and just look at two ordinary dumps that are logging in to the same server
with the same protocol version.

> most of the patch was already in post 82, but
> include/cspublic.h is still not quite right.

Corrected and committed, thanks.