freetds - Re: [freetds] dbnextrow() vs dbskiprow() (skipping rows in FreeTDS)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Jason Young (Morgon)" <morgon AT mygamercard.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] dbnextrow() vs dbskiprow() (skipping rows in FreeTDS)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:21:33 -0400

Re-reading these posts, there's really little reason to not use ROW_NUMBER:

SELECT *
FROM (SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY author [ASC | DESC]) as Row,
author, title, description
FROM books
GROUP BY author)
AS Results WHERE Row BETWEEN 51 AND 75

I know it may not seem intuitive for 'generic' queries (as the original poster wanted), but there's only 'x' number of ways you'd want to sort things ('x' = number of fields in the table, eh?).
Simply set a 'default' method of search (id?), and change the ORDER BY clause if the user wants to sort by something else.

I know it's been easy to rely on MySQL to generically sort things for you, but it's doing it based off of *something* that you can easily re-create.

More info on what Navdeep meant by 'generic' might be more helpful.

David Barnwell wrote:
You can page through MSSQL tables 20 rows at a time using this SQL:

SELECT top 20 author, title, description FROM mytable
WHERE table_id NOT IN (
select top 12345 table_id from mytable
order by title
)
ORDER BY title

Here, table_id = primary key of the table
12345 = the next row to return (counting from 0)

I wrote a data browser that allows the user to page through any table and see the first/next/last 20 rows. It's surprisingly fast - on a table with 344000 rows it can select the last 20 rows in about a second.

-- David

Navdeep Shergill wrote:
I am trying to implement a mysql like paging; and this is one approach that
I am looking at. Mysql makes it realy easy with the LIMIT keyword; but I am
not having such luck with MSSQL. I am currently looking at the ROW_NUMBER
function ; but even that one requires me to do a order by on some column.

The problem is that the user may be trying to run some very generic queries;
and I need to be able to provide paging.. so I was looking at some way to
exec a query; and then go right to some arbitary row in the result set.