freetds - Re: [freetds] Troubles upgrading to freetds-0.82

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "Mikhail Teterin" <mi+kde AT aldan.algebra.com>
  • Cc: gnome AT FreeBSD.org, freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org, ale AT FreeBSD.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Troubles upgrading to freetds-0.82
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:45:26 +0200

I don't understand these pages... are there some kind of automatic build
system??

> = > I notice, that BLK_VERSION_100 and _110 are still defined in
> = > cspublic.h
> = > (both as CS_VERSION_100), but that's it -- the API
> = > compatibility with the
> = > older version is now broken.
> =
> = :( fixed in a post patch at freetds.sf.net. James is
> planning to package
> = an updated source package.
>
> So, will there be a 0.83 sime time soon?

no, a 0.82.1 probably

> In addition, my personal pet-peeve is the lack of /automatic/
> recognition of
> Sybase vs. SQL-server. I'm sure there is a way -- at the low
> level -- to
> detect, what "flavor" the server is and set the
> settings->msdblib flag
> automatically regardless of the compile-time setting.

Mmmm... yes, try to use version 4.2 to detect protocol version, however every
time you'll have 2 connections instead of one, a good optimization would be
to cache protocol version somewhere, let's say ~/.freetds.cache or similar...
this would help for instance port too.

> Because, for example, currently one can only have either
> databases/freetds or
> databases/freetds-msdblib
>
> http://www.freshports.org/databases/freetds
> or
> http://www.freshports.org/databases/freetds-msdblib
>
> And the same application (or a toolkit like Sybtcl) can not
> talk to both types
> of servers /at once/, unless it is hacked to change a connection's
> settings->msdblib itself, which means, it has to be
> FreeTDS-aware, rather
> than simply use the vendor's API.

Mmm.... I think you are confusing server with client needs... msdblib means
that client wants some msdblib thing, not that you are connecting to mssql...