freetds - [freetds] new C++ library

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] new C++ library
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 23:08:00 -0400

For the last 6 months, I have been working on a new C++ database interface
library. I am now inviting feedback from people experienced in writing
C++ database applications who are willing to critique the design and test
the implementation. This is your ground-floor opportunity to influence
the library's syntax and functional scope.

Current functionality:

* Execute queries, handle multiple resultsets.
* Parameterized queries.
* BCP.
* Read/write STL containters.
* Load/unload tables with freebcp-like utility.
* Supports SQLite, db-lib, and ODBC.

Of course, it's just a hobby, you know. It won't be big and professional
like GNU.

I'm not posting the code yet because it's not packaged up: the
documentation incomplete, the Makefiles not generalized, things like that.
I don't want to chase my tail supporting users until those kinds of
things are squared away. Besides, if early feedback leads to significant
changes, it's better not to have a broken 0.1 version out there.

I'm not working completely alone. A few others have offered comments
and/or expressed interest in joining the project. Sergei Kuchin of the
Oracle Template Library has been particularly helpful.

I am aware of perhaps a dozen similar projects, but find none of them
satisfactory. I humbly submit that my API is easier to use and more
expressive than anything else out there. If you can show me otherwise,
you will be helping me improve it. OTOH, if I'm right, won't you be glad?

Please contact me if you're interested.

--jkl

  • [freetds] new C++ library, James K. Lowden, 04/19/2008