freetds - Re: [freetds] Row problem

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Row problem
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:11:48 +0100

> ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:
> > Perhaps structure should be changed? Should we remove row
> concept (dblib
> > already save cur_size so it can save data, data_free too)
> ?? Handle like
> > blobs?? In this case is_blob_type macro is not sufficient
> or we should
> > add some new types (not server ones, XSYBVARCHAR have a
> limited maximun
> > or not depending on column_size).
>
> Unless we find a good reason not to, I think we should treat
> varchar(max)
> like TEXT when fetching.
>
> >From an API point of view, the two are the same. The column
> can be 2 GB,
> so the application cannot allocate a buffer to hold the whole
> thing. It
> will have to be able to read/write in chunks, just like TEXT.
>
> The only difference is on the server. That's not a reason to
> change the
> client.
> Does the Microsoft client allow varchar(max) to be a stored procedure
> parameter? (I bet it does.) If so, we'll need to add
> support for it to
> SQLPutData.
>
> Of course we'll need to add XSYBVARCHARMAX or something like that.

This is the problem, there is no XSYBVARCHARMAX but XSYBVARCHAR is 2
byte long for varchar(N) where N <= 8000 while is "chunked" when
column_size is -1...
So is_blob_type does not work. I agree that varchar(max) is a LOB but
has no textptr/timestamp so use TDSBLOB structure waste some space and
confuse programs.