freetds - Re: [freetds] GNU style?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] GNU style?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 18:17:46 -0500

Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > This has worked for many months at least. What system complains about
> > += in a Makefile? I use BSD make with no problem.
>
> If I reminds correctly only = is standard make... but perhaps I confuse
> += with :=.

I see. Learn something new every day.

This was a very small change, and the Makefile remains understandable even
though the definition of bin_PROGRAMS is a little redundant. No problem.

In general, I think it's impossible to write a Makefile.am that will work
with "standard" make. A standard, Platonic make doesn't exist. We're
constrained by what Automake produces, and we promise only BSD and GNU
make.

My feeling is that if it works with those two, we're covered. Anyone with
a lesser make can always install GNU make. It has no dependencies and is
available in binary form for practically every platform that has a Bourne
shell. He'll probably need it anyway to build other projects.

But I can learn. If you're lurking and I'm overlooking something, please
chime in.

BTW, I read "recursive make considered harmful" last night. Interesting
reading, could be applied to FreeTDS.

Regards,