freetds - Re: [freetds] don't understand change

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] don't understand change
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:51:54 -0500

Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > I think 1.15 is OK.
>
> Mainly in my environment it didn't compile. I think it's cause
>
> $ nm .libs/libct.so | grep STD
> 000000000003efa0 r STD_DATETIME_FMT
>
> so the symbol is local

In C, file-scope objects have external linkage. Is it possible you're
compiling the file as C++?

I remember from reading the ANSI C rationale that extern was the source of
some difficulty because there was more than one reasonable, well
established practice. Some linkers want:

file1.c: char value[] = "hi";
file2.c: extern char value[];

others want:

file1.c: extern char value[] = "hi";
file2.c: extern char value[];

I chose #1. You might try #2 (add extern to the definition).

Funny we haven't bumped into this before.

Regards,