freetds - Re: [freetds] Can't connect from shell

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Can't connect from shell
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:14:57 +0100

> Hi
>

> I installed freetds few days ago with yum and rpmForge
> repository enabled. I
> have a Linux Centos and php 5 like a lot of people and mssql
> support is not
> enabled with this distro. I find some tutorials through google and i
> compiled php 5 once again following a HowtoForge tutorial.
> Actually if i run
> a php script with phpinfo() mssql is show as "enabled". But
> in trust Linux
> Server can't connect against SQL 2005.
>

> I read a lot of documents but i need some help to setup
> FreeTDS and try to
> connect from command line. I believe that the main files to setup are:
>

> freetds.conf
>
> odbcint.ini
>
> odbc.ini
>

> I did the test with "isql" command and "tsql" with same
> parameters. Any
> worked.
>

> [IM002][unixODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found,
> and no default
> driver specified
>
> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
>

> Theses is an output from Isql command. So i believe that i must have a
> trobule with configuration of freetds files(freetds.conf,
> odbc.ini, etc). I
> need a little help to try to configure properly freetds from shell and
> perhaps, after all, maybe i successful connect to SQL Server from php
> script.
>

> Thanks
>

> PD: i attach freetds.conf

Mmmm... there are no server configured in freetds.conf...

Usually to get a successful connection
- telnet server_ip/dns 1433/instance_port
to avoid firewall problems
- TDSVER=8.0 tsql -H server_ip/dns -p 1433/instance_port -U youruser
should ask password and connect directly to your server
- fill odbc.ini or ~/.odbc.ini with
[odbc_name]
driver=/path/to/your/libtdsodbc.so
server=server_ip/dns
port=1433/instance_port
TDS_Version=8.0
- isql odbc_name user
I think isql should ask password (you can add an argument with your
password but I don't like this way)