freetds - Re: [freetds] Need help on TDS RPC request format

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "Sandesh Sawant" <sandeshvsawant AT yahoo.co.in>, "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Need help on TDS RPC request format
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:30:40 +0100

> Hi,
>
> I am working on TDS 8 and wanted to know the format of the
> RPC request. I went through the FAQ and read
> http://www.freetds.org/tds.html but felt some details were
> missing in the RPC format. I also tried looking into source
> code using doxygen a bit but could not figure it out... Could
> someone update it if anyone has got more visibility of the
> specs? I am basically interested in capturing the query text
> embedded inside the sp_prepexec procedure call. So I need to
> know at what offset the query length is stored and at what
> offset the query starts and if the query text is always in
> unicode format.

You can find an updated version at
http://freetds.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/freetds/freetds/doc/tds.ht
ml (directly at CVS). This version is much more updated. If you don't
find a specific thing please ask so we could update docs.

See also http://jtds.sourceforge.net/apiCursors.html#_sp_prepexec for
this specific RPC.

> Also I am looking for any data about TDS 9 packet formats
> mainly query requests and responses. I used wireshark for
> analyzing TDS 8 traffic but looks like wireshark does not
> fully decode TDS or SQL 9 is always using encryption by
> default. I am posting on the list for first time so please
> excuse in violations.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sandesh

If mssql2005 is comfigured to crypt packets wireshark can't decrypt
them... I don't know in which conditions mssql2005 crypt packets.

freddy77

  • Re: [freetds] Need help on TDS RPC request format, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT, 12/03/2007