freetds - Re: [freetds] how to corrupt a table

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] how to corrupt a table
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:13:50 -0500

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:
> > something in our bcp for TDS 5.0
> > is currently
> > able to load data into a table that can't be selected back out.
>
> Probably BCP packet use the same format as server and server doesn't do
> much input testing (BCP is used mainly for speed).

Indeed. Something we need to be careful of. :-)

> All fields are nullable, isn't it ??
> I think you can post freebcp input file.

It's not freebcp. The program uses bcp_bind().

> > -- the "six" row
> > d1
> > 04 06 00 00 00
> > 03 00 d1 04
>
> 03 ??? so a float of 3 bytes??? Quite strange...

Right. Hard to guess how they come up with that. Or maybe that 0x03
isn't really the length byte. Who knows?

It looks like my test program is doing something invalid -- sending a
NULL to a non-nullable column, SYBEBCNN -- that bcp_collen() isn't
catching.

Further reports as results warrant.