freetds - Re: [freetds] tds9 and gssapi

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: achim AT grolmsnet.de, FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tds9 and gssapi
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:58:38 +0100

Il giorno mar, 13/11/2007 alle 23.02 +0100, Achim Grolms ha scritto:
> On Monday 12 November 2007, you wrote:
>
> > Yes but ntlm as fallback it's not so fine... perhaps the better way is:
> >
> > - no user and no password?? try kerberos (if not fails)
> > - domain user?? use ntlm
> > - use normal login
>
> Hmm.
> On Samba the commandlinetool "smbclient" ships with different modes
> of authentication:
>
> smbclient -k
>
> directly uses the Kerberosmachanism.
> And fails with "Not build with Kerberos5 support" if the tool
> was not build with Kerberos5 support.
>
> smbclient -U
>
> does the "old fashioned" authentication by username/password.
>

> I think this behaviour can be easily adopted to the tls commandlinetool.
>
> But I don't know how the decision "use Kerberos or Username" can be
> added to lib-using software like the ODBC drivers and the database-drivers
> and
> so on.
>
> Idea1: Use an Environmentvariable to enable use of kerberos.
> Hmmm. ugly.
>
> Idea2: use a "Dummy-Username" with dummypassword to trigger the use of
> Kerberos5.
> (Ugly in-band-signalling :-/)

That is current implementation... empty username means kerberos. You
have a similar behavior under windows (with empty username you get
"integrated authentication") with the difference that under windows is
up to the system to decide between ntlm and kerberos (but under *nix we
need user/password to make ntlm works).