freetds - Re: [freetds] Freetds on Red Hat 8

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Freetds on Red Hat 8
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:44:02 -0500

Kuriakose, Bobe wrote:
> I am new to linux and trying to find out how to use freetds on Red Hat 8
> to connect to Sybase. I have installed freetds-0.61-0.dag.rh80. From
> there I don't know how to proceed.

Hi Bobe,

Before you configure 0.61, I recommend you uninstall it and build last
night's snapshot instead. The version you installed is many years out of
date, full of bugs long since fixed that no one even remembers anymore.

The User Guide is intended to help people just like you do just that. If
you have questions, this is where to ask them.

After you install something modern, set up your freetds.conf and make sure
it works with tsql.

> I am planning to use C code with functions like
> dblogin, dbopen, etc. Do I link to "libsybdb so" or do I have to build
> some other library?

Yes, you link to libsybdb. That's the db-lib library.

There are simple programs in src/dblib/unittests, and in src/apps you'll
find bsqldb, defncopy, freebcp, and fisql. Lots of examples.

If you haven't already, get your hands on some db-lib documentation. The
Reference Manual we provide isn't complete, but it might be an OK place to
start. I recommend you download the reference manual (pdf) from Sybase
and read the whole thing. For quick reference, I sometimes just type
"dblogin site:sybase.com" into Google. Works for me.

Regards,