freetds - Re: [freetds] Has anyone integrate Sybase Library with FreeTDS library

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Has anyone integrate Sybase Library with FreeTDS library
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 10:21:59 -0500

Fu, Steve wrote:

> 1. Prefix all functions with tds_, e.g. tds_ct_connect() (as in
> tdsdbopen), and compile a library, let's say, libtdscore.a
> 2. Create stub functions with names the same as Sybase and call the
> implementation function, e.g. ct_connect to call tds_ct_connect, and
> package these functions with libtdscore.a to libsybdb.a or libct.a....

Hi Steve,

If you submit a patch that does this for ct-lib, I'll apply it to CVS
HEAD.

It's not necessary for db-lib. Because both vendors (still) provide a
db-lib implementation, the need to use FreeTDS and <vendor lib>
simultaneously is pretty rare. For ct-lib, however, it's valuable,
because it would make it possible to modify DBD::Sybase to choose its
library according to server.

As an aesthetic judgement, I think ct_connect_freetds is better than
tds_ct_connect. It puts the important part of the name up front, and
"tds" nomally indicates a libtds function/structure or something specific
to the protocol.

Depending on your skills, a giant search-and-replace and some autoconf
magic might be easier. We could have two libraries: the existing libct,
and the new libct_freetds. The CVS build process could run sed(1) over
the needed files to produce the new ones.

Regards,