freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and Sybase libraries side-by-side

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and Sybase libraries side-by-side
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:38:59 -0400

Skip Montanaro wrote:
> We're not ready to dispense with the Sybase client libraries at this
> point. Our current hack is to modify the relevant FreeTDS Makefile.am
> files then run auto(re)conf. It seems like this should be a configure
> flag though (--avoid-library-name-clash anyone?). I didn't see
> anything in the configure script's help output that would do that. If
> I was to work up a patch for configure.in (or configure.ac?) would
> this be looked upon favorably?

Hello Skip,

configure.ac is where you want to go. But are distinct library names
enough? If you linked both libraries to, say, DBD::Sybase, how would it
know which ct_connect() to use?

If you can set things up such that DBI can use Sybase and FreeTDS
libraries concurrently, leaving the choice to the application based on its
connect string, I promise you many people would be grateful and I would be
happy to include the feature.

Regards,

--jkl

  • Re: [freetds] FreeTDS and Sybase libraries side-by-side, James K. Lowden, 09/04/2007