freetds - [freetds] Fw: FreeTDS vs Threads

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Nick Kew <niq AT apache.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Fw: FreeTDS vs Threads
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:35:39 +0100

From the FAQ:

Is FreeTDS thread safe?

Different threads may all use separate connections without interfering
with each other. Threads may not share a DBPROCESS or CS_CONNECTION
without controlling access via a mutex.

I took that as a hint that
(a) threads *can* share a DBPROCESS provided Thread 1 cleans up any
cursors (or transactions) before Thread 2 uses it.
(b) A process can keep a pool of DBPROCESSes, and threads can use
different DBPROCESSes in parallel.

Now I have a report of intermittent failures (a SELECT statement
returning FAIL) that smells of a possible thread-related issue.
Can someone confirm that my assumptions are (or should be) safe
and I need to be looking elsewhere for a bug?

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/