freetds - [freetds] (no subject)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Medi Montaseri" <medi AT resonate.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:56:11 -0700

I recently had a need to run N number of SQL requests in a batch mode
where I found bsqldb(1) the most suitable tool. The problem however was
that I also wanted to be able to throttle by inserting sleep between
each request (or GO) including sleeping (or waiting) indefintely waiting
for developer to single-step thru.

I modified bsqldb.c and provided a -w option (w for waitfor) such that
-w 0 // default value, meaning don't throttle, blast away
-w n // where n is > 0 and it means sleep for n seconds
-w -n // where n is < 0 and it means sleep for ever

In the course of changing bsqldb.c I noticed that the current design is
reopen-ing stdin, stderr and stdout to support -o -e -i.
My question for this audience is:

1 - I'd like to contribute this change to the community, are you guys
interested in this feature ? If yes, then
2- Since the case of -w -1 requires receiving input from stdin, it
creates a conflict between -i which has been reopend as stdin.
2.1 - I can either change the entire code and not use reopen but simply
use a different descriptor for -i, -o, -e processing. Or
2.2 - I can temporarly reopen stdout and stdin while interacting with
user and put it back to -o -i

Please let me know and if it is a go...who should I coordinate this
patch or checkin with ?

Cheers
Medi