freetds - [freetds] freetds.conf options

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Anson Henthorn" <henthoca AT gmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] freetds.conf options
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:41:13 -0500

Hi all,

I was wondering if FreeTDS supported an option for specifying a password
(and/or username) for a server section in the fretds.conf file.

I ask because I noticed that it searches for a ~/.freetds.conf file, and
this would be an excellent place to store and secure server based
credentials, instead of having to list them explicitly in every script that
uses tds. MySQL's option files (
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/option-files.html) offer a similar
capability.

From what I've read, it seems that a TDS connection pool allows usernames
and passwords for a dataserver to be specified, but I'm not sure that's what
I would want to use, as it would be stored in FreeTDS's etc directory
instead of a user-specific directory.

I guess for now I could have my scripts read a user-specific file for
special config options like username and password, so I could still restrict
access to it.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
-Anson

  • [freetds] freetds.conf options, Anson Henthorn, 06/20/2007